Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hot Off the Workbench...


I just finished making this necklace yesterday. For something that appears simple, it took me a long time to work out the design kinks.
What I set out to achieve in this design was to create a cherry cluster that was made from a single piece of wire. I hate clutter (even though I am entering this post at a cluttered desk) but I especially abhor a cluttered design. I wanted the stems to come up and create the loop from which it would hang. Sounds easy, but I went through A LOT of brass wire (that's what I use when I'm working out a design because it's pretty cheap) before I figured out just the right stem length, curve, size of loop at top and how many wraps of the wire I could do around the loop for it to be secure yet not look like a noose.
Attaching the leaf was easy and I got it to look right on the first shot.

The chain for the necklace was another issue. I thought a regular oval link chain would be fine, but it really didn't do anything for the cherries. After scrounging around in my supplies I found some bar and link chain that I forgot I owned. After polishing the bar and link chain, I slid the cherry pendant on and was satisfied with the overall look.

Necklace measures 16" in length and is available for sale in my etsy.com store, Girl Tuesday Jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment